Sunday, April 1, 2012

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

I recently finished Monster by Walter Dean Myers! I have to say it took me a bit to get used to the format of the book, in addition to the amount of characters-- I found myself going back in the book to make sure I was connecting characters appropriately. However, I feel by the author putting Steve Harmon's story through a movie script, it helped me, the reader, better understand the plot and significant details, more so when reading about his trial. Reading Steve's journals and various pictures, I think really developed his personality. Being a multicultural text, I felt these entries not only gave his insight, feelings, and reactions; it allowed me to make connections to the story which I wasn't sure would exist. For example, I think I, and most anyone can relate to questioning and/or discovering oneself (among other issues) which Steve is forced to face. In reading this book--I think this book could be a great read for many teens and young adults, especially if they relate to Steve and his surrounding's culture(s). I found myself debating the trial, and what I thought of Steve's insight and side of his story. His reaction to being called a 'monster' in court (p. 21), displayed some sensitivity when we see his notebook filled with 'monster', over and over. I think by his attorney stating, "You have to believe in yourself if we're going to convince a jury that you're innocent" (p.24), I found myself wanting him to be innocent. Through his story, we read about his experiences leading to a jury decision that will change his life forever. It was interesting to think of what Steve's future would be like in both scenarios-- either in jail for a good part of his life, or home finishing school and living his life how it is meant to be lived (and not trying to act like a tough guy). I found this story to be a powerful read as Steve is innocent until proven guilty. The anticipation of collecting 'clues' randomly throughout and waiting for the verdict really interested me- I wanted my prediction of him being innocent to become his reality. No spoiling the ending for you readers interested in the book! :) Check it out!

3 comments:

  1. You make a lot of great points in this post and actually got me thinking about how this story would change if it were from a different character's perspective. Reading Steve's journal entries really gave us good insight on him as a character, but I would love to see how King saw the story, or Bobo or even Steve's lawyer. That could make for an interesting writing assignment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Katie, you raise some interesting issues here. I would like to hear more about what you find significant about the way the story is told (the multimodal features) of the text.

      Delete
  2. P.S. Did something happen with the formatting? I was surprised this is all one paragraph.

    ReplyDelete