Monday, March 12, 2012

The Hunger Games...hungry for more.

Before reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, I heard a lot of comments that people REALLY enjoyed this book.  When I initially began reading, I was curious what all the hype was about-- I didn't get it, and had never really read or seemed to enjoy a futuristic/sci-fi book before.  I thought it seemed too unrealistic-- the hunger games, how a nation used to be like us has now transformed into Panem.  I wanted to know why we weren't 'us' anymore.  Why was North America in ruins???  I think that the ache not knowing what happened within this huge time gap altered my thinking and made it difficult to understand and dig deeper into this book. 

I am thankful the author did a great job at being descriptive, and even sometimes repetitive. However, because this is a world unlike our own, I did find myself going back and searching for other answers I may have missed, re-reading to discover clues.  After a while of reading some chapters, and understanding this world-- I became hooked!  My thoughts exploded still...How does the Capitol of Panem run these 12 surrounding districts so unjust and unfair, cruel, and without debate.  It is the job of 12-18 year olds to fight in the annual hunger games.  As a form of entertainment--killing and violence and looking out for yourselves.  How has a society come to this?  How has this Capitol become so powerful and advanced, yet (most of) these surrounding districts have next to nothing.


Katniss (our main character) and Peeta, are the two from District 12 who will be participating in the hunger games.  I found this to be an interesting relationship and one that I tended to think about often.  The readers learn of this relationship and how Katniss seems 'in debt' to Peeta; how he has helped her without question in the past.  When the two are sent to the Capitol, from the beginning they are together and distant at the same time... I had been curious about this relationship right from the get-go. I thought on p. 71 of the book it initially describes a moment that I debated in my head... "It's not fair to present us as a team and then lock us into the arena to kill each other".   None of the other tributes were acting as a team.  Yet, the 'staff' setting up District 12 contestants seemed to have doing all together. Throughout the preparation for the games and especially after the games begin-- I couldn't figure out Peeta.  Because of Katniss' questioning and debating, it made me question and debate him, too. I wanted to trust him; to trust in thinking that he really did just want to be with her, like her, enjoy her company.  But moments in Katniss' mind describe opposite-- especially because if Katniss did get far enough along and not killed, it would be down to the wire of them fighting against each other.

I was so eager and curious.  About the future, the games, what would happen between Katniss and Peeta.  I kept finidng myself making predictions and revising or changing them.  Would Katniss win?  I was glad that Katniss' hunting friend from home had a plan to help out her family in case something did happen to her.  But I wanted her to win--to fight back.  I think it was important for Peeta to tell Katniss that she has been a fighter all along.

WELL I can't give away everything that happens! BUT, I promise this is a great read, it's powerful.  It shows the strength that one can have, how you can set your mind in ways that may be unimaginable.  I think we can learn a lot about our culture too; how lucky we are to have the freedom that we possess.  


Now, I want to know more.  There are still questions I have unanswered! I would definitely continue reading the trilogy-- and plan on it in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. Your post highlights the power of a series, Jamie. A good series never answers all the reader's questions in a single work nor are all the issues raised in the book resolved. This is why the reader is compelled to keep reading.

    As a teacher, this is why assigning books which are a part of a series are so wonderful because they are designed to provide students with additional opportunity to practice their reading skills and strategies. What's more, because the reader already has a well developed background knowledge of the character/setting/themes/writer's voice/narrative style, the reader is better prepared to meet with success as they read future works.

    ReplyDelete