Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

I recently began reading Crank by Ellen Hopkins, and am really enjoying it. I have to admit it took a bit getting used to, between the format of the book and the some of the language used, throughout.  However, the fact that it is based (loosely) from true events makes the book that much more desirable.  It seems to have a raw perspective, and grabs my attention and wants me to keep reading.

Crank is a powerful read, and shows Kristina (a high school junior) transform into Bree-- a nice young quiet girl, turned rebellious and carefree.  Crank, in the book, is known as the drug, meth, a.k.a. the monster.  Between Kristina vacationing to see her long-lost father, meeting a boy--Adam, a.k.a. Buddy, using drugs and experimenting sexually , Kristina has transformed into Bree.  

It seems that Kristina has attempted to try and come back, hardly recognizing herself after sleeping 20 straight hours after being high on crank.   We see Kristina's struggle, briefly, to want to fight back.  The monster comes back, and Bree is again.  Everyone surrounding Bree during this 'vacation' is using and abusing crank--Adam (her crush and supplier), and more importantly-- her own father. 


Bree has been in Alberquerque, and now three weeks later heading home to her mother's in Reno. But not after a long night abusing crank, and 'allowing' Adam to draw a small heart tattoo on her thigh.  Is this love that her and Adam have created, real?  Is he using her?  How long can this last before she realizes it's no good.  How is crank really affecting her?
I have left off reading on the chapter-- 'I Still Wasn't Down When We Landed'; I can't wait to continue reading.


This book clearly contains some topics that may not be suitable for all readers, although it is a teen book.  Drugs and sexuality are common themes throughout the book, so far.  I think when dealing with these topics, the author has no choice but to be so blunt and real in her writing.  However, I think if Hopkins had not written Crank in such a reality, no one may take it seriously.  This book examines how an innocent teen girl can easily transform into a user,  before she even realizes it herself.

While this book can be a difficult read in a variety of ways, I can see how it would be a great book for many teens to relate to.  We often wonder how teens dealing with drugs (and the like..)  can be helped or how it could have been prevented.  And although I haven't finished reading close to half of the book, I can see how there is much potential to show teens that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  Even the fact that Kristina's father is constantly using, can put drugs into perspective for teens.  Who wants to be mid-age, alone, without much, trying to save your own job and life, while abusing drugs?


So far, I think this book possesses a powerful message.  I am finding myself thinking of Kristina/Bree's situation and hoping once she is back home she will have the opportunity to clean up.  How will things change for her once she is back in Reno with her mom and step dad? Will she return to Albuquerque, in hopes to reunite with Adam?

Time to keep on reading...

1 comment:

  1. I don't want to give away the ending of the book, but I definitely agree with you that the book shows the grass isn't always greener on the other side....I think the further you get in the book, the more you will see the author's message coming through. I think in the beginning of the book the author is just so real about it that it is almost hard to see the negative effects of the drugs right away. I hope you find the same as you finish the book! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete